Friday, November 27, 2015

Naki no Ryuu Chapter 10

At last, we're back with another chapter of Ryuu. Just in time for "not Thanksgiving."

I'm thankful for Penchan, who did the cleaning and typesetting as usual. This chapter is a littler later than usual because I forgot to send him the translation until the last minute. My bad!

Download




Mihira is this chapter's general. Called "Mekira" in Japan, they are associated with the Tiger.

After releasing chapter 9, I realized that I forgot to explain what a yaksha is in the blog post. A yaksha (also known as yasha) is a type of spirit that appears in many Asian mythologies. Yaksha have a variety of different depictions ranging from benevolent to violent, but here the term refers to the warrior-like depiction, and can also be used to describe the 12 Heavenly Generals themselves.


This chapter has another one of Ryuu's famous phrases, "It's too early for you to act like you know mahjong." To be honest, I'm not really satisfied with this translation. The original text says "It's too early for you to talk about mahjong," but it sounded kind of off to me, so I wrestled with how to make it sound better, and eventually just settled with this. Sorry!

If you play the Kindai Mahjong themed mobile game "Tohaiden," then that's one more of the lines you can use while playing as him. If you're keeping score, we've seen 4 of his 11 lines (Heh/Hmph, Your back is covered in soot, My calls imbue the tiles with life, and now this). I guess the main reason why I'm pointing out these lines is because they're in that game, which I play a lot, haha.


Anyways, next time we'll hopefully see the beginning of Ishikawa and Ryuu's clash.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, and I think your translation of Ryuu's catchphrase sounds accurate, though I'm spe

    ReplyDelete
  2. aking from a proofreader's perspective and not a translator's one.

    ReplyDelete