Thursday, August 25, 2016

Naki no Ryuu Chapter 22 and Complete Volume 3

We're back. It's been quite a while. I think this is because both Penchan and I have been working on series on the FKMTkrazy side (typesetting Kaiji and translating New Kurosawa respectively). Maybe a bit of laziness on my part too, but I won't admit it.

Thanks to Penchan for the cleaning typesetting and redrawing.

Download Chapter 22
Download Volume 3

I also have a bit of interesting news for you all: it seems that the Naki no Ryuu series has changed ownership from Takeshobo (publishers of Akagi, etc.) to Shogakukan. There are plans to reprint the entire series in 10 pocket-sized volumes (5 for the original and 5 for Gaiden).
Even more exciting is that an entirely new oneshot called Naki no Ryuu Genesis was recently published in Big Comic Original (coincidentally the home of New Kurosawa, haha). With the oneshot was an announcement of a new special edition of Big Comic dedicated to gambling, which would include a new Naki no Ryuu series (tentatively called "Naki no Ryuu 2016"). The issue is slated to come out this fall, and needless to say I'm pretty freaking excited.




As you can see, the new covers look pretty cool as well. Honestly I prefer the more colorful original covers though. Anyways, onto this chapter.

This time our color is Nibiiro (鈍色). It is a dark gray that is supposed to represent the color of a dull sword (the nibi coming from "nibui," meaning "dull"). You could say that this chapter is gray because of all the snow slightly lightening the jet black from the previous chapter. Or maybe because even the usually sharp Ishikawa finds himself knocked down a peg in the face of Kaitou. I probably shouldn't put too much thought into the meaning of these names though.

This chapter was fairly dry, with most of the action coming from a surprisingly subtle battle of wills between Ishikawa and Kaitou. Ryuu was crazy as ever though. Overlooking a win to immediately draw your much better out for baiman? Jesus H. Christ. Also Ryuu says one of my favorite roasts so far. Only he can make "get over it you sore loser" sound cool as hell.

This is also the end of the volume (finally), and as I said previously the next volume starts another arc. I'm looking forward to it, but the next chapter of Kita no Shishi is coming next. Hopefully we can get things back on track in a somewhat timely fashion.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the chapter!

    Interesting news about Ryuu, though I'm always vary of sequels and series extensions, since they're more likely than not to be inferior to the original story. Still, if anyone ever scanlates, I'd still give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be a bit more clear, despite its name Naki no Ryuu Gaiden is actually a direct sequel to Naki no Ryuu (and like The New Kurosawa, it came many years later). It seems like they're planning on making the sequel to Gaiden now.
    Noujou sensei will probably pull it off. I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME news and a WONDERFUL release!! keep up the fantastic work, I'm glad that there are folks that love Naki no Ryuu as much as I do. THANK YOU again and looking forward to your future works :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m so happy to read three volumes of Naki no Ryuu!

    Thank you Denji for the smooth translation. The dialogues have great flow. I appreciate that you put all the translator’s notes in this blog. It’s blissful to look at Noujou-sensei illustrations undisturbed.

    Thank you Penchan especially for the typesetting. They look harmonious with the illustrations. I especially like when the text is embolden and distorted during over-the-top dialogues. It makes a big impact when I read it.

    When will Amimiya Ken (the guy with glasses, who wears a suit) arc begin? He’s in the cover of the third volume of Naki no Ryuu published by Shogakukan.

    ReplyDelete