Friday, December 27, 2019

Mukoubuchi Chapter 20

I tell you, it hasn't felt like 9 months since the last chapter to me! When you get into a normal working routine, time just seems to fly by... but finally, I've managed to translate the next chapter of Mukoubuchi over the holiday season! We begin a new, short 2-chapter arc today relating to the Professional Japanese Mahjong scene, one of my favorite settings for a Mukoubuchi arc! ...Oh who am I kidding, nothing beats high-stakes gambling. But it's interesting to see how Pro Mahjong is organized for sure!

Chapter Link

"Doesn't matter if you're good or bad, you just gotta be trustworthy."


I always love seeing the relationship between Kai and Yasunaga, they're not exactly allies but they can at least agree to use each other to serve their mutual benefit. Kai gets to hunt down some tasty prey while Yasunaga gets to teach a lesson to the two miscreants who dared to work together to boost Oda to the championship title. I found Oda's reasoning of "If people can win because they have a lot of luck, what's wrong with me winning because I have a lot of money?" to be pretty interesting, although a little fallacious. I'll have the next chapter out as soon as I can, you guys are gonna like it!

3 comments:

  1. Yasunaga was emulating Kai several times by intimidating Oda and Satou unexpectedly. Apt for a chapter called ‘Imitation’. The easy-going Yasunaga is a terribly great character to complement the icy Kai.

    Is Mahjongkrazy planning to sub the Mukoubuchi V-Cinema 1-5 that have been officially uploaded by All In Entertainment to YouTube?

    Here is the 1st installment → https://youtu.be/UUSf7pKTY5A. The links to 2-5 is in the description box in the link. I’m particularly intrigued by Hide’s storyline in Mukoubuchi 3 (https://youtu.be/XW734m8xF2I) ever since I saw the character in Sonickrazy’s Mukoubuchi PS2 gameplay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I agree that Yasunaga complements Kai well and that he's using similar tactics, but I'd say since Yasunaga is taking these two to the ringer because they cheated in a league game, he's not exactly imitating Kai (who just destroys anyone you put in front of him without mercy) but rather using Kai to ensure the destruction of two people that need to be taught a lesson. Yasunaga watches Kai as he sends people to debt hell, but he's not the type of person to do that kind of thing himself unless there's a good reason for it. The real meaning of the title "Imitation" will be revealed in the next chapter, which I'm working on now.

      And I did see those movies, a while ago in fact before they were even uploaded to youtube, but I don't think I'll be subbing them until after I get through the next couple arcs of the manga. I'm bad at listening comprehension as well so it would take me a long time to slog through it. But I might do something like that some day, especially since it will be a while before Hide is revealed in the manga.

      Delete
    2. That’s true, Yasunaga isn’t Kai who is ruthless at any given moment. But Yasunaga enjoys incorporating Kai into his schemes (e.g. Chapter 11-13 Pauperizing Parlors when Yasunaga lured Kai to defeat the Mito Group). I can’t wait for the reveal in the next chapter!

      Based on Japanese Wikipedia, the third movie covers Hide’s arc as depicted in volume 8. Is that coincidentally the volume where Hide debut as a character?

      Speaking of live-action adaptations, have you seen Mahjong Hishouden: Naki No Ryuu (1995) and Mahjong Hishouden: Naki No Ryuu Gaiden (2011)?

      Thanks for the updates, Sonickrazy! I was afraid you were abandoning Mukoubuchi after hearing you quit FKMTkrazy.

      Delete